Back up cameras

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CuJo's Pride

Back up cameras

Post by CuJo's Pride »

With Father's Day coming I want to get Curt a backup camera for our 26'. I'm not sure whether to go wireless or not. If any of you have a brand you have been happy with or an opinion of what is better wireless vs hard wired. I would appreciate any input you have.

Thanks so much

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
cmeadows

Back up camera

Post by cmeadows »

Jo,

We installed a hardwired system with a dedicated monitor and camera. Our hardwired unit has an all-in-one cable that provides power to the camera and return video signal in the same cable. We chose the hardwired unit for ease of installation and the rock-solid image. We also wanted something that was automatically turned on with the ignition switch and off when the ignition key is removed.

We looked at wireless. The wireless units all require a power source to the camera. With wireless, it was still going to be necessary to run a power wire to the camera from the cab to have a switched circuit with the ignition key. To me it seemed just as easy to install the hardwired unit that has everything in one cable. We've been very pleased with the unit that we installed. It comes with a remote control that I use to adjust the monitor brightness between daytime and nighttime driving. Here's a link the unit we installed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GM5GKO/ref ... T1_SC_dp_1

Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I watched a video on wireless and they didn't seem to wireless to me. Did you have to drill holes in the BF to string the wires? I'll look at the site you put on. If you have any suggestions on installation let me know and I'll make print off your reply and give it to him with the camera.. Thanks for the help.

Jo
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
cmeadows

Back up cameras

Post by cmeadows »

I drilled 3 holes for the camera—2 of these were 1/4" to mount the camera and the largest was for the camera cord—I think it was 5/8". The kit includes a rubber grommet for the cord but I chose not to use it. The grommet would have required a larger hole (I think 3/4"). Instead of using the provided grommet, I sealed the hole with Permatex RTV silicone. This filled the large hole and sealed around the camera cord.

Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, 3.35 oz. Tube
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82180-Ma ... B0002UEN1U
(I bought this at a local autoparts store.)

Here’s a link to more of the rear camera installation detail.
http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=3497
I routed the wire through the inside of the coach to keep it away from squirrels. I drilled one hole through the kitchen cabinet to make routing the wire easier and to keep it hidden. With our floorplan, this hole is only visible from under the sofa.

Hope your installation goes smoothly.
Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

When I installed mine I routed the cable through the back wall and then through the floor to the undercarriage. You can easily find a way to route the cable up to the front and the E450 has a nice entry spot in the front door step wells as there are rubber plugged holes beneath the plastic cover that will allow you to route cables to under the dash or up under the molding to an area above your head.

One mistake I made was I didn't use stainless steel screws to mount the camera. the screws rusted quickly so advise you use the stainless.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Mike, what backup camera did you get?

Thanks Jo
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

CuJo's Pride wrote:Mike, what backup camera did you get?

Thanks Jo
It was one several years ago off of Ebay so I can't pinpoint it easily at this time. It was very similar to the one listed above but without the multiplexer.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

The camera is on it's way from Amazon. I do realize that he's going to have to work for his Father's Day gift but I doubt he'll mind. Thanks for all your advice.

Jo
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
cmeadows

Back up cameras

Post by cmeadows »

And then there was this guy that was told by his girlfriend, "If you ever buy me a gift with a power cord, it's over."

The guy was my boss for 20 years and the girlfriend was a wonderful lady that was his steady for many years until her passing. While wonderful people, neither would have been found in a coach at a National Park . . . let alone wally docking.

You could include a note to Curt indicating . . . some installation/assembly required. :)
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I will enclose a do - it - yourself note with a copy of all your successful instillation advice. He will appreciate it. I benefit from this gift as well. I no longer have to be the "back - up camera". It's a win, win gift :roll:

Jo
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Jo

Perhaps you can triple the gift by replacing yourself on the back of the 27 speed bicycle tandem (just a small DC drive and a rechargeable battery - assembly required of course) for next Fathers day :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

He would miss my back seat driving if I did that !! :D
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Happy Father's Day to you all. Curt really liked the back-up camera. Thanks for all your help! He said it was a gift for both of us. Now I wouldn't have to worry about getting run over anymore. I didn't think of that but it was a win-win as far as I'm concerned. I told him he would have plenty of help with the instillation. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Jo
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
CuJo's Pride

Installing Back-up camera

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Curt went to install the back-up camera and came across a small problem installing the camera on the back of the coach. He doesn't see anyway to install the camera without cutting part of the false wood wall to gain access. Does anyone know of a way to reach the wires without cutting a hole? He would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks

Jo
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
cmeadows

Back up cameras

Post by cmeadows »

Jo,

Do you have a bed or a bath in the rear of your coach? Can you post (or email) a photo of the area on the back wall with the false wood? I'm only familiar with the rear bath model that has a medicine cabinet in the area of the rear top three clearance lights outside. The medicine cabinet provides access to a good camera mount location in the rear bath model but I'm not familiar with the rear side bed model.

Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”