Heat from engine block

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

larihack

Heat from engine block

Post by larihack »

So we finally got underway after having to stop at camping world again since the 45 point $250 inspection failed to detect that our fridge woulnt run on lp. Noticing that the engine block separating driver and passenger creates quite a bit of warmth. Any suggestions?
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Please provide more information, including whether there is insulating blanket on back side and whether hatch is fastened down on both sides and up against firewall firmly.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
larihack

Hot feet

Post by larihack »

Wow fast response! I don't know if there is a blanket on the undersurface but it looks like the is latched.
Dude

Post by Dude »

The doghouse on my BF gets warm as well. Face it, your leg is only inches from the engine.....it's gonna get warm.

As for the fridge....don't know.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

I have general opinion that Ford has made a series of improvements in heat from the hatch from time to time, and in some instances one can add fiber glass matting on engine side. Ralph [/u][/url]
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
larihack

Post by larihack »

Good info. I have never had a rig with a doghouse before so maybe this is just how she rolls. I put a rug down on the floor and it was okay. Just wondering what it's going to be like when we hit OK and NM with all that extra heat being generated. Fridge got fixed, but still required a 3rd visit to get it done. Not sure what was included in the 45 point inspection we paid for. Apparently it wasn't the generator or the hot water heater or the refrigerator. But, we have driven our first 350 miles in Bertha and she did fine.
Dude

Post by Dude »

1 through 6 - does each tire hold air
7- Do all the windows open
8-Does the engine start
9-does the passenger door open
10-does the drivers door open
11-does the back door open
12-Do the wipers work
13-is there windshield washer fluid
14-does the dome light come on when you open the door
15-How comfy is the bed....take a 15 minute nap
16-Do the doors the pantry work....are there any afternap snacks in there
17-Does the radio work....tune to a good station
18-Is there a sink
19-Is there a potty
20-Is there a shower
21-Check off YES to Sink Potty Shower....you are just proving they are there, not that they work
22- Call the wife and check off 5 more things so the boss doesn't know you aren't working
28 - Does the light come on in the fridge....If yes, the whole fridge must be working
29- Do the blinds work.....close them to proceed with 30
30- Open the couch and take another nap
31- take for a test drive.....and find someplace peacful to nap
32-resume nap that was interrupted by the test drive
33- Do the bumpers work....bump into something while parking
34- Modify prior inspection report to reference the new scuff mark on the bumper
35- I'm having trouble finding 10 more items....anyone want to add to the list?
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
randallrae

heat

Post by randallrae »

2012 25' rb
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

Don't forgot that the engine and components need airflow around them to dissipate heat. Too much change from what the factory installed could result in heat buildup and compromised life of those items.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
larihack

Post by larihack »

I found that putting one of the rugs I had on the floor over the passenger side of the dog house made it so I could at least lean my leg up against it. The dog kind of likes laying on the floor where it is warm. I will check that the bracket is closed thou too. Thanks for all the input.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”