Tread Separation

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

richnwendy

Tread separation

Post by richnwendy »

After verifying that our six tires were part of the recall, our Ford dealer service center (Hilltop, Richmond CA) refused to replace them, citing a letter from Ford Corporate hdqrts..."replace tires that were installed as original equipment on Ford Motor Co vehicles." Ours are replacements, but still qualify. Disappointed in our service center who is also listed as a Michelin dealer. Will go elsewhere. Safety is utmost concern.
2014 23' Freedom (2nd BF)
Re-starting retirement
whemme

Post by whemme »

richnwendy,

Something smells rotten at your Ford dealership especially if they are also a Michelin dealer. I would contact Michelin corporate and file a complaint about this.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

Re: Ford Dealer refuses to exchange tires.

I suspect the reason is that they don't make money on the exchange. My dealer, Big Brands, told me after I inquired, that they receive $30 per tire exchanged to cover labor and balancing costs.

Jim
richnwendy

Tread separation

Post by richnwendy »

Continuing our quest for Michelin tire replacement. Big O said the "official recall letter" (?) will be January 4, 2014. Stalling? Meantime, Cost-Co agreed to order tires and replace ours next week. We'll see; happily, we're not traveling until later in the month.
Re-starting retirement
stevek

Post by stevek »

One thing that is a plus at Costco, is that they use Nitrogen to air up tire.
Not sure if they do the same with Truck tires?
Does anybody think the Nitrogen is worth it?
If so, I might go to Costco for my BF tire replacement, instead of my local dealer.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

stevek wrote:One thing that is a plus at Costco, is that they use Nitrogen to air up tire.
Not sure if they do the same with Truck tires?
Does anybody think the Nitrogen is worth it?
If so, I might go to Costco for my BF tire replacement, instead of my local dealer.
Nothing wrong with using all nitrogen but air is about 80% nitrogen anyway so it is not worth it to compromise price or convenience to get all nitrogen.
Just think how often you add air to bring tires up to pressure so that pure gas is going to be diluted over time.
JMO
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Here is a link to some great info about Nitrogen in tires, from a retired tire engineer.

http://www.rvtiresafety.com/2011/04/inf ... ll-be.html
richnwendy

Tread separation

Post by richnwendy »

Anyone else having challenges with Michelin? Three dealers have verified that our tires have been recalled, but none (Ford, Cost-Co, Sears) can get replacement tires from Michelin, and Michelin Consumer Care department is clue-less. Lots of phone calls/e-mails fruitless. Meanwhile we drive--with hope, and a healthy dose of frustration.
Re-starting retirement
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I can only tell you from my own personal experience that their customer service is non existent.... I will never buy Michelin tires again....

(and I agree, when I called customer service I got switched 3 different times... nobody I talked to 'had a clue'
Good luck .... drive slow... check tires often.....
stevek

Post by stevek »

Sam, are you sure about the Tire upgrade at no additional charge.
If so, thats the way I will go.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
richnwendy

Tread separation

Post by richnwendy »

Thanks to this forum and Sam Ryan (Texas) advice, we found Discount Tires locally ("America's Tire Company" in northern California and Oregon) and will have Michelin replacement tires in two days. So nice to hear "Sure, we can do that!" after so many negative responses.
Re-starting retirement
Dan Gilmore

Tread Separatioon

Post by Dan Gilmore »

Thanks to all for posting this. All my tires were replaced today as a result of reading these posts.

Dan Gilmore

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”