Have you all seen this "bridge" video ?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Have you all seen this "bridge" video ?

Post by stevek »

It reminds to make up a note card of the heightt of of my BF
and post it on my dash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kInz19rz ... e=youtu.be

PS you can skip the advertisement... press the skip ad.

Anybody have any words of wisdom to avoid something like this?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

LOL!! :D I'm sure these scenes weren't funny to the participants, though... I think there is mapping software available that shows all bridge heights. I would hope that there is a warning on that one well before the overpass, itself, but maybe not.
Last edited by mockturtle on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Great video to make us aware of a serious issue. Hopefully everyone in the vehicles were wearing their seatbelts and so probably avoided any serious injuries. A few weeks ago a double decker tour bus got lost and hit an overpass at the Miami International Airport. Killed 2 people who were in the front of the bus on the top deck. Reminds us that we must always be vigilant when driving and pay attention to the signs. Would also like to suggest that all of you out there consider taking the AARP Driver Safety Course. (disclaimer: My wife and I are Instructors for this course) You can either take it online or in a classroom. Cost is minimal ($12/$14) and you may be able to get a discount on your auto insurance. My RV insurance company gives a discount of up to 10% on the cost of the policy and I am saving $70/yr on our auto policy. The instructors who teach the course are all volunteers and do not get paid. If you want more information go to www.aarp.org/drive. By the way for those of you under 55, you may not get a discount but the course is a good brush up for your driving skills.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Dude

Post by Dude »

With the number of trucks that are hitting it just barely, I wonder if they repaved the road and never remeasured and changed the sign.

I remember the first time (October) I went under a bridge with my BF.....I checked the sticker the previous owner put on the dash with the dimensions (10'6" high) and the bridge sign at least a dozen times. The bridge was something like 14 feet high but I still tensed up the moment I went under.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sheer driver stupidity! The yellow warning lights come on if your vehicle
is too high. The drivers ignored them and paid the price!

Regards, Roger
1999 24RB
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

1) Measure the max height point of your RV
2) Stick a note on your dash with the max height in ft/in and metric (for when you drive in Canada)
3) Low clearance info: US:http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Low%20Clearances.html
Discovery owners overlay for Streets & Trips
Allstays app
Truckers/ motor carriers atlas
4) If the number is very close to the height of your RV be cautious as they may have blacktopped the road reducing the actual clearance since the sign was put up.

Fortunately Born Free RVs are relatively low in height so problems are few and far between.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Driving in Manhattan to visit Grant's Tomb I stopped for a light to make a right turn (no turn on red). I looked to the left and immediately at the intersection was a rail overpass with posted clearance of 10 feet. I could have easily turned left without seeing the sign particularly if the light had been green. Sometimes you do not directly approach an obstacle. Gave me quite a scare.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”