Well... I bought a Born Free

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Post by Tom and Jennifer Pierpan »

Here are a few more suggestions:
1. Height and width are very important to remember. I post on dashboard within driver's view a good size notice " Think High and Wide" and include the width and height of our 04 RSB on it as well. This comes in handy esp on secondary roads where height limits are posted just in front of the underpass and you must make a decision about that quickly!
2. Turn off refrigerator when filling up with gas. This is a safety issue and should be followed. I post this note on the passenger side of dashboard. Just remember to turn it back on!
3. Each day, before pulling out, check all compartments, awning, sewer cap, etc by walking around the coach. Especially check the side compartment where you attach the hose for fresh water. We have left this open more than once and then had to stop to close it. Also, the fresh air vent on the roof that you close from the inside. If left open the wind could catch this and damage the hinges on it. You do not want to have to pull over down the highway to secure something. Also check the tire pressure, fluids, etc as well.
4. Refer to http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/ This is a very complete source of camping options esp the reasonable local, county, state and national parks. We rarely stay in private campgrounds, preferring the extensive park system that is available. Also Cracker Barrel and Cabela's allow overnight parking.
5. If plugged into shore power for any length of time, disconnect the coach batteries to avoid overcharging. There is a switch on our BF on the wall by the stairs. Do not turn this on or off if engine is running.
Although we were new to RVing, we quickly felt at ease in our adventures ( and misadventures!). Enjoy it all!
Jennifer
charlesbell

Well...I bought a Born Free

Post by charlesbell »

Safe and happy travels Steve. You will enjoy your new Born Free! Thank you for considering my 2010RSK. I realize Pennsylvania is closer to Oregon than is central Florida. Also, I'm happy to share that a family member in North Carolina is purchasing my coach. I'm looking forward to flying to Iowa in September to pick up the 2013 23FL. Best of luck Steve!
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Good idea to post the height, width and length of your BF where you can quickly check it. I'll add, that if you plan to travel to Canada, also post the BF stats using the metric system. Don't forget to post the weight as well. You often come across weight restricted bridges.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Steve, do yourself a big favor and be sure to take the time to visit the factory. you will not regret it.
Mel & Connie
whemme

Post by whemme »

I have a collection of factory brochures. For the older body style coaches (2007 and earlier), the maximum height of the 24' and 26' models was 10' 1" (121"). The maximum height of the new body style 24' and 27' models after 2007 was somewhat less at 9' 9.5" (117.5").
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Trix

Post by Trix »

Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

Unless it is changed since last fall, you will get 1 year of Coach.net service for free when you buy a new Born Free. Much praise for Coach.net from most since it is a dedicated RV service. Not so much universal praise for AAA when it comes to RV service.
stevek wrote:For the trip, I had just planned on insuring the BF with my existing AAA insurance.
My AAA has roadisde service. I will ask about roadside service regarding a MH.

And then later, when I get home, will look into other insurance options.
Like Progressive Insurance and others.

Thanks

PS. Also was thinking about going by the Born Free Factory.
Since I will probably never get another chance of being so close.
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I believe the one year membership to Coach-Net from the factory is only on coaches sold by them and not for private sales.
Mel & Connie
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

Yes, of course. My fault. I lost track of which thread this was. My apologies.
Mel Wilbur wrote:I believe the one year membership to Coach-Net from the factory is only on coaches sold by them and not for private sales.
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
hrgermany

I bought a Born Free

Post by hrgermany »

I just drove the Interstate -80-from Reno NV toCheyenne WY pretty boring
drive. Take a KOA campground listing with you. Might come handy.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26 FT RSB
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

One more thing about roadside service. Wheels are usually torqued to the full force of the electric wrench by a tire jockey who never heard of the wiggle socket extension. ?This means that if you have change a tire yourself you will need a six foot cheater bar to break loose the lug nuts. Leave this to the roadside guys.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

The lug nuts on the E-450 chassis should be torqued to 140 foot pounds. For that reason I carry a torque wrench and have not had a problem removing or installing the nuts. In 40+ years of motorhoming we have only had one blowout and I made sure the roadside repair service used my wrench. I agree with Bill that you cannot always trust the tire changers as they do not usually have the pre-set torque sticks with them.
Mel & Connie
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks everybody. Lots of good advice for a NEWBIE like me.
Flying out July 30.
Will probably spend the first night close by to see the Amish and maybe buy a quilt. Will need bedding anyway.

Also was thinking of taking a detour back to CA, and going to Yellowstone.
Plan on taking 2-3 weeks driving back.

Still planning on stopping by the BF Factory.

Thanks again.... you are all a great group !!!
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

I beg to differ with the recommendation made by Hans. I agree that you may get good use out of a camp ground directory, but I try to avoid KOA's. They are nice but high priced. They have to up their rental fees to pay for all the amenities they have for children. If you are not traveling with kids why pay for things you won't need and it will be quieter in most other parks with less kids.
I sound like a grumpy old retiree, but that's my opinion

Jim
Janet

KOA Campgrounds

Post by Janet »

The comments about KOA campgrounds made me laugh. After staying in several in Missouri, Arkansas & South Dakota we decided they had to be near an airport, a railroad track or BOTH!! Also felt the prices were too high compared to other campgrounds. Not kept up as nice, not updated and too pricey. But that's just my opinion.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”