Judging right side clearance

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Judging right side clearance

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Years ago cars had hood ornaments (guess my age ) :D I used the ornament to help judge right side clearance. When seated behind the wheel in my normal driving position I lined up the ornament with the edge of the road to estimate the distance between the side of the car and the edge.

Now I have attached two pieces of colored tape to the right side windshield wiper --one yellow to mark mirror clearance and one red to mark right side vehicle clearance. Two because on some road construction sites there is a concrete barricade below the rear mirror and I can move closer to the right.

Now for my question. Initially I tried to create a hood ornament by attaching a magnet to the hood only to realize that it is either fiberglass or a metal that will not attract a magnet. Any suggestions on something I can attach that will last a while without drilling a hole in the hood? Other ideas?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I think that industrial-strength velcro might work and I can attest to the fact that it will peel off most surfaces without any damage. Whether it will hold up in the rain, I can't say--I've only used it indoors. But it's strong. I've even held mirrors to walls with it.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Body side moulding tape works great. It's used to attach moulding to cars, so it withstands the weather.

I used it to attach my FMCA plaques and also used it on my emergency response team sign on the front of my Jeep.

Both have been on for years. If you ever want to remove it, use strong fish line to get behind whatever it is holding on. Then use a "sawing" action to cut through the tape. It will work. Then you have to scrape and clean off the residue.

John
Trix

Post by Trix »

Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”