Towing

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

George & Jo Ann Ramst

Towing

Post by George & Jo Ann Ramst »

We are considering towing a vehicle. We have a 2002 Envoy and was wondering if anyone tows a car that heavy. We have also considered the Jeep Liberty and the Saturn Vue. We have a 26 Ft. RSB 2005 model with a diesel engine. Would appreciate any input. Thank you.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

We have 97 24 RB and tow a Jeep Grand Cheeroke and get 9 to 10 mph .Do half our towing in Colorordo and New mexico. The BF is E350
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Sam Ryan wrote:Since the Class IV hitch on the Born Free is rated 10,000#, it is unlikely that almost any tow vehicle would be deleterious to towing, especially with the diesel optioned powerplant. Hummer, anyone?! Pull away! And enjoy!
LOL I just saw a Hummer Toad yesterday....
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

Hmmm...I have a 2005 26RSB, but I was under the impression that it only has a class III hitch. However, I guess I am more concerend about the GCVW. I haven't yet weighed my fuly loaded BF yet, but was under the impression that the max one can tow is 5,000#. Maybe with a diesel it is different, but I have a gas.

Wow, if my BF can tow 10,000#s, I'd drag my 6,000# truck behind me.

Can you experienced folks steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!!
whemme

Post by whemme »

Actually a E-450 based Born Free has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 14,050 lbs and a gross combined vehicle weight rating (GCVWR) (total of the motorhome and any load - trailor or toad) pulled behind it of 20,000 lbs. So for example, in my case of a 2002 E-450 V10 BF 26' RSB that weighs a total of 13, 260 lbs filled up in traveling configuration, I could potentially tow at total of (20,000 - 13,260) = 6740 lbs with its Class IV hitch rated at 10,000 lbs. However, a lot of tow bars are rated for only 5000 lbs or less and some for only 3500 lbs. In my case I use a 10,000 rated Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar but I only tow a 3400 lb 2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS car. I also use a Brake Buddy auxillary braking system.

The lower you keep your total weight the better you will enjoy the way your rig handles on the road.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Auxiliary braking is NEVER a bad idea if your toad or trailer or whatever is more than 1,000 lbs. Not only that, it might actually be legally required, depending upon where you are.

I tow a 3,600 lb. Honda Civic and use a brake buddy. My tow bars are class 3.
George & Jo Ann Ramst

TOWING

Post by George & Jo Ann Ramst »

Thanks everyone for your replies to "Towing". We ended up buying a Saturn Vue and had a Falcon/Roadmaster Hitch and a Brake Buddy installed. Now we just need to get on the road and try it out.

George and Jo Ann Ramstead
whemme

Post by whemme »

George & Jo Ann Ramst,

Remember after putting in the Brake Buddy each time to pump your power brake pedal at least three times before departing to dump the stored vacuum in the power brake vacuum accumulator - forgetting this step can be very damaging to your toad's tires.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Bill,

You do this by pressing the "Test" button on the brake buddy and activating it 3 or 4 times, right?
born free 24 psd

Post by born free 24 psd »

An envoy is a bit more than I would like to tow but if you have a diesel it should be fine. I would definitely use a toad brake.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Trisha,

Yes, pressing the TEST button on the Brake Buddy 3 times will work as will actually reaching in and pressing on the brake pedal with your hand three times.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bftomryan

Post by bftomryan »

Thanks for the clarification Sam I thought that it was only a 5k hitch.
KTnLen

No Wheels Down Towing - BF 32ft

Post by KTnLen »

When we looked at the 32-ft President last weekend, Jerry Ehrhardt told us the hitch is rated at 5,000 lbs but that the vehicle can pull up to 9,000 lbs. It's been many years since I towed a popup camper trailer.

We are planning to pull a car trailer (open or closed to be determined) carrying a BMW X3 weighing just over 4,000 lbs. These vehicles cannot be towed with any wheels down.

Questions for the veterans out there:

What part of the hitch needs to be upgraded? Is it the whole unit attached to the chassis frame? or is it just the tongue and ball assembly that is inserted into the bumper receiver?

Is a 2-inch ball the standard?

Also, some trailers we've seen have built-in brakes, so I guess that eliminates the need for a 'brake buddy' or other augmentation.

Thanks in advance. Can't wait to pick it up on the 24th.
Trisha

Class 3

Post by Trisha »

The receiver hitch is indeed talking about the sleeve that you slide your hitch into. *that* is the part rated 5,000 lbs. I haven't crawled underneath to see what it's welded to but it's welded to something I'm nearly certain.

If that receiver hitch (the square hole in the bumper ) is rated Class 3 (5,000 lbs) you cannot put any other kind of anyting in it that is rated for more, and expect to tow more. It is the "weak link" so to speak. Never exceed the rating of the lowest rated item in the chain. You should talk to them about installing a class 4 hitch on it if you must.

However, you probably don't must.

I have seen Mini Cooper's being towed 4 down. In spite of what BMW says, (which is NO WAY). However, it probably depends on what kind of warranty you would be voiding to do something other than what they say. I would listen to someone like Roadmaster (or who is it that makes those lube pumps) as to actual experience.

Problem with a trailer is simple. When you get to where you are going, where are you going to put the trailer? Since I don't know where you're going, of course, so I can't advise you. But if you're going to park in a busy, southern USA park in wintertime, you're going to have difficulty finding a place for it. That's why so many tow 4 down. Stow the bars, put the brake away, and drive off. No muss, no fuss.

Well, sort of.

If you're not fulltiming it (so you have a home to keep things), why not consider buying a cheaper (or not) car that's towable 4 down for your motorhoming adventures, so you don't have to mess with a trailer?
Yes, most trailers have brakes (not disc???) so that's not an issue, so much. Can't believe they put drum brakes on those things.

I guess there are pros and cons. Less wear and tear on the car. But as for class 3, talk to Jerry about whether or not BF can upgrade the hitch.

Good luck and happy camping

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”