fuel milage

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

robert newby

fuel milage

Post by robert newby »

We have just come from Whitehorse , Yukon almost 3000 miles and averaged 14.1 MPG which I think is very good considering all the hills etc. that we encountered - What do the rest of you get? -- Bob Newby
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

You must have a diesel. I get 9-10 depending on whether or not I'm towing.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Yes - it is the 6.0 diesel -- I used 200 gallons for 2826 miles
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I have a 2004 (2003 Ford chassis) gasoline BFT. I've gotten as high as 13.5 mpg on a tank of gas, but normally get 11-12 mpg.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
kidcanada

Gas Millage

Post by kidcanada »

Hi Guys
Well ive just gone on our first main trip with our B/F 26 rsb ... 1997 in year & with a 460 ford motor ...
Love the camper & searched a long time to find it for our family .... But very un happy with 7.5 -8 MPG ....
Very hard to swollow ... We realy thought B/F where better on Gas
kidcanada

Born Free Gas Millage

Post by kidcanada »

Hi Again
Our camper also has a ban ks kits on the motor & tranny... Will this make a diff ?????
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

kidcanada, Climbing hills really takes a toll on fuel mileage, but you often don't have a choice living in western Canada, if you want to go to a specific place. You get your best mileage going as slow as possible in high gear. If your model year has the data plug to use a scangauge, it really shows real time effects of pressing the gas pedal, as well as the speed you drive, and the transmission gear used. When climbing and accelerating, downshifting cuts the mileage a lot. You burn less fuel if you don't press the gas pedal to the point where the transmission downshifts when climbing hills. You will likely end up going slower uphill, so you need to balance fuel usage vs traffic concerns. A newer E450 with the V 10 burns a bit less fuel than your 460, but you can buy a lot of fuel with the money you saved by buying your older 460 chassis. No matter what brand motorhome is sitting on the Ford chassis, the gasoline usage will be similar, with adjustments for coach weight and wind resistance.
Diesel motors burn less fuel, but not necessarily less dollars, when you take the higher costs, both the initial higher expense, as well as the continual higher maintenance and random repair bills into account. I sold my not used enough diesel, and hope to never buy another $$$$ diesel injector ever. Diesel motors weigh more and reduce your carrying capabilities too. My opinion is that diesel motors do best in boats and big heavy land vehicles that are rarely parked, you will find other opinions the opposite of mine.

Of course, shorter, more leisurely trips burn less fuel. Carrying less weight helps, as does proper tire inflation, current engine maintenance, etc. Your generator burns gas from the same tank, and will lower your mileage number unless you factor its use out of the total fuel used. Enjoy your Born Free, you did make a very good choice of a compact motorhome.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

Just got home from Creede, CO. We made a big loop from Memphis to Helena, MT; Island Park ,ID; Yellowstone; Grand Tetons; Flaming Gorge; Dinasauer Monument; Colorado Nat'l Monument; Black Canyon of the Gunnison; Creede, Dodge City, Fort Smith, and then Memphis again. It was an 4,446 mile journey that consumed 433 gal of gasoline for a total of $1603.45 for around 10.26 mpg. I say around because the generator was run during lunch stops and while shopping, etc. The "Hound" must have his comforts! But looking at the big picture the generator usage would be negligble. The most expensive fuel was in Sidney, NE ($4.20) and cheapest was in Muskogee, OK ($3.29). Even though it was $pendy, it was still very worthwhile. The awesome beauty and variety of splendor in this country just cannot have a price tag! By the way, also had fun at the Rally.
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

We don't factor in the cost of gas on a trip so much so long it is under $4 or more. We have found that our living expenses while on the road for 4 to 6 weeks are about the same as staying at home, including the cost of gas. Not sure quite why that is except that we generally cook all of the time at home and on the road and spend less on groceries on the road and have less electricity expense at home while on the road. The biggest plus, however, is that we couldn't possibly afford to travel as much as we do and experience what we have seen if we stayed in hotels and ate out for every meal. As the credit card commercial says, the 100,000 miles we have done in the last 6 years have been "priceless".
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Guy Carter wrote:Just got home from Creede, CO. We made a big loop from Memphis to Helena, MT; Island Park ,ID; Yellowstone; Grand Tetons; Flaming Gorge; Dinasauer Monument; Colorado Nat'l Monument; Black Canyon of the Gunnison; Creede, Dodge City, Fort Smith, and then Memphis again. It was an 4,446 mile journey that consumed 433 gal of gasoline for a total of $1603.45 for around 10.26 mpg. I say around because the generator was run during lunch stops and while shopping, etc. The "Hound" must have his comforts! But looking at the big picture the generator usage would be negligble. The most expensive fuel was in Sidney, NE ($4.20) and cheapest was in Muskogee, OK ($3.29). Even though it was $pendy, it was still very worthwhile. The awesome beauty and variety of splendor in this country just cannot have a price tag! By the way, also had fun at the Rally.
Great gas mileage. What year, Ford or Chevy, if it is a Ford, is it a 350 or 450? Do you have the Ford V10? I have only had my 2005 26RSB on the E450 & V10 for a couple of months, I have driven it 948 miles and am getting 8.59MPG. I really expected around 10MPG.
Steve

Post by Steve »

We have the 2005 24RB with V10 and are getting 9.5 to 10 mpg, we are still returning home from Creede. We get this mileage while towing a Jeep Liberty. I drive from 55 to 58 mph, I think if you drive faster your mileage will be lower. We are retired so we can afford to spend an extra 15 minutes driving at the lower speeds.

Steve
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

First, people should drive the speed that they feel comfortable driving ... but
We have the 2005 24RB with V10 and are getting 9.5 to 10 mpg, we are still returning home from Creede. We get this mileage while towing a Jeep Liberty. I drive from 55 to 58 mph, I think if you drive faster your mileage will be lower. We are retired so we can afford to spend an extra 15 minutes driving at the lower speeds.
I think the time difference is more like 2-3 hours.

Steve
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

Al in Fl wanted to know what I'm driving - 2007 Ford v-10, 22' BFT, no toad. 2 adults, the "hound", and misc "stuff" purchased along the way.
Dennis Park

Post by Dennis Park »

we have a 2009 22 "rear door, cab over on the Chevy chassis. 6.0 L 323 hp. Florida to West Virginia and back 1,800 miles 10.8 mpg's driving posted speed limits.

on 818 very flat miles in Florida we averaged 11.2 towing a Sature Vue and driving posted speeds.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I guess my 14 MPG is good considering all the hills we had to climb and some driving in the towns etc

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”