Buy a new converter or house batteries first?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ann P

Post by Ann P »

My 3 year old Interstate 27s have experienced some unintentional trauma and I need to consider my replacement options. I always thought I'd go with golf cart batteries next time, probably the highly recommended Trojan T-105s. Then I read some previous posts here , and perhaps I should get the Progressive Dynamics multi-stage charger/converter first, or at the same time with new batteries. ( Might be able to get some more life out of the current batteries with the better converter;have the standard Parallax bad boy now.)

I called the big RV service place here in Apache Junction, AZ where I'm wintering for the moment (along with thousands of other snowbirds), and the fellow said he doesn't sell Trojan golf cart batteries, just Interstates, plus their 27 and 29s. Said he uses Interstates himself, they're just as good (hmm). They also sell and install the PD charger/converter.

Quite a few of you BF folks have installed the PD. Did you keep older batteries at the same time, or switch out to new 12vdc or the 6s ,or what? Do you trust the Interstates? Really appreciate your input, the sooner the better. Thanks!
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ann,

Back in 2005, I installed a PD series 3-stage charger/converter along with a new set of Interstate SRM-29 batteries. The SRM-29 is somewhat larger and with more capacity then the SRM-27 but will fit in the Born Free battery carrier so I would recommend the larger battery if you do any amount of dry camping. I just replaced my two SRM-29 batteries with a new pair after 5 years of use. I guess I am satisfied with that life expectancy.

As for the Progressive Dynamics charger/converter - I would recommend their model PD4645 or PD4655, the later being rated at a 55 amp output rating. Along with that unit, I would also recommend that you keep your existing DC fuse and power distribution PC board rather than change out to the one supplied with the PD unit. Then install a modified PD92201 Remote Pendant that you will need to order directly from the Progressive Dynamics factory. You can read all about this conversion (if you haven't already) in my posts in the Coach Modification section of this website or by clicking on this direct link to those posts: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=2482

If you have any questions, please email me by clicking on the blue email button below.
Last edited by whemme on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Ann, suggest you replace the charger/converter first. Then see if your existing batteries work out. If they do, great, if they don't you can change them out easily. Sounds like Bill Hemme is still using 12V batteries. I decided a while back to change over to 6V Trojan T-105 Plus batteries and have never looked back. Below is a photo of my batteries.

Bill
Attachments
Trojan T-105 Plus 1.jpg
Trojan T-105 Plus 1.jpg (153.15 KiB) Viewed 7961 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I just installed the PD4655 Converter/Charger. I too wondered if my batteries were up to snuff. As Bill Hemme suggests I did not install a new DC fuse and power board, but I did install the modified (by PD) pendant. After the converter worked its way through the three step process and I knew the batteries should be fully charged, I used a digital multi-meter to measure voltage at each setting. Bill Hemme had provided me with the readings for each. All checked out. Finally I bought a hydrometer and checked the specific gravity of each cell. That test gave the correct readings as well. I could remove the batteries and take them (or drive the BF) to an auto parts store and have a load test performed, but I think I am satisfied that my three year old Trojan 105 six volt batteries are in good shape. So I am with bcope, install the charger/converter first.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have installed the 3 stage charger. I pick up two Trojan T125 6v Plus batteries tomorrow and had already ordered the new EZ Battery tray from Kim at BF. I based this on the project that Barb and Bill have done with their batteries.
Steve
Ann P

Post by Ann P »

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the responses and hope there will be more. Does anyone know about the Interstate golf batteries? I think I'll call around and see who has Trojans, but first I'll get the PD charger/converter, but can't do it til after an upcoming trip. But what the heck is a Remote Pendant? :o I need to read the tech bulletins and the links here, hope it's not all Greek to me.

I'm leaving next week on a trip to Hawaii (yay) and my BF will be in storage in Tempe, AZ , with the battery switch off, booster amp off, LP off, etc. I'm just hoping the coach survives my being away a month. When I did a trip in Nov. and left it behind for 2 weeks with everything turned off , I came back to a "weak" battery signal and the lights were quite dim. Is there something else I could do ? Most likely the battery problem stems from having left the switch on by mistake when it was in storage for 2 weeks back in Sept. There was corrosion on one cell. Got it cleaned up and re-charged but hasn't been the same since. So I want to be prepared for the next battery set-up.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Bill Hemme explains what a remote pendant is in his posts. Here is a photo of mine. Ordered from the factory at a cost of $21.95 including shipping.
Attachments
IMG_2251.JPG
IMG_2251.JPG (64.89 KiB) Viewed 7827 times
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
bcope01

Re: Buy a new converter or house batteries first?

Post by bcope01 »

Ann P wrote:... I came back to a "weak" battery signal and the lights were quite dim. Is there something else I could do?
Ann, for your trip you could leave everything in the coach turned off and hook up a battery maintainer/float charger directly to your batteries like this one available at Wally World (and shown below):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-Sp ... r/13005742

This should keep your batteries charged, and undamaged, until your return.

Bill
Attachments
Battery Maintainer.jpg
Battery Maintainer.jpg (55.35 KiB) Viewed 7817 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ann P,

The Remote Pendant gives you mode monitoring and manual over-ride control of the the 3 charging modes in a PD converter/charger. These two functions were added to the replacement DC fuse and power distribution PC board that Progressive Dynamics includes with their PD4645 and PD4655 converter/chargers and that is why they supply that replacement PC board. However, installing that new PC board is a lot of work and is especially difficult in the newer versions of the existing single-stage Parallax 7345 converter/charger installed in your Born Free that came equipped with a PC board with groups of five colored wire leads (red, orange, green, yellow & blue) soldered to the board. Older versions of the PC board connect these wire leads with screw terminals which made it easier to change out. Believe me, purchasing the modified Remote Pendant from Progressive Dynamics is a much easier and preferred method of getting the functions with your system.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”