Need some help trouble-shooting our generator

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

41Woodie

Need some help trouble-shooting our generator

Post by 41Woodie »

The Onan 4000 Emerald Genset in our new, to us, 2001 24' RB is giving me a fit. If I crank it it fires right up reasonably well but immediately dies. If I hold what I believe to be the governor to the left (facing the generator) it will continue to run albeit poorly. If I don't interfere, the engine starts and the governor immediately moves to the right and the engine dies.
This continues for probably 6-10 minutes and each repetition it runs a bit better. Finally it gets to a point, after multiple attempts, that the governor moves to the right as before but then as RPM's decrease it moves back to the left, as I believe it should, and from this point the generator continues to run, roughly but in short order it smooths out and will function perfectly.
It bogs a bit when the A/C compressor cuts in but it immediately compensates and runs properly with good stable electrical output. There is fresh gas in tank and it is full, the oil level is correct and the unit has fewer than 100 hours on it. I'm a firm believer in exercising the generator every two weeks and have had to deal with this exact problem four separate times now. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

I've no direct experience with Onan gensets however your description sounds like an automated choke problem. If your Onan has a bi-metalic coil actuated choke it has likely broken, become maladjusted or the linkage is broken or binding.

If you do have this type of choke, it is a fairly simple diagnostic to determine whether the choke is functioning properly.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Onan has a carburetor cleaner that you spray into the throat of your carburetor (follow directions on can and be ready for some toxic white smoke), which helped alleviate a similar sounding problem on our unit ~~
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

You might want to check the altitude adjustment to be sure it is correct for you current location.
Mel & Connie
41Woodie

Post by 41Woodie »

Mel Wilbur wrote:You might want to check the altitude adjustment to be sure it is correct for you current location.
Checked it first, I purchased the coach in eastern Iowa, I live in central Oklahoma so there isn't a big difference in altitude. We're having some rain and as soon as it slacks off I'm bringing the coach home and tackle the problem.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”