2 canoes on roof 24RB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tiptoptune

2 canoes on roof 24RB

Post by Tiptoptune »

Would appreciate any help on if i may be able to drill through roof to bolt a mount plate on to roof that yakima 1a towers install to. I currently have this set up on a Bigfoot TC and getting close to buying a mid 2000 24RB that i plan to transfer rack over to. I need to drill thru so i can install a plastic backup plate and nut inside considering all the uplift two canoes can have at 80 mph. I have it this way on the TC and have not lost a canoe yet in 13 years. Holes will end up in cabinets for the most part so back up plates will not be visible. I have been on roof of a few BF and here is what i thinking.

Unfortunately rear bar will need to go on top of rear of portion of ac cover. Canoes need to sit on top of ac unit a bit or they will hang over the side of camper. Planning to replace plastic cover with custom aluminum that can support center of bar. End supports for bars will be raised 1a towers bolted thru.
Front cross bar will go somewhere on main roof a foot or so back from the beginning of sloped front section.
Plan to set rear of canoes on top ac, front onto std height bar with the 1a towers which is around 7 inch high.
Yep i crazy. Yep i have a system to get the canoes up easily. Total canoe weight could be as high as 150# and up to 16'-6" long
Need 5/16 holes. 2 at end of each rack. so two holes for drivers side front mount back from front cap, 2 holes drivers side in line with rear of ac unit, repeat on psgr side.
Also need one hole in center Left to Right for front bar a foot or so back from sloped front cap. Need this to support the span. I think. Bigfoot bars are 8'-6" long and BF bars will be shorter but still think i need to support center of front bar.

Anyone drill thru a roof?

how thick is roof - top to interior?

Frame locations? or even a guess :-) i want to miss framework.

Wires? do not think there is much. fan and ac is all that is up there.

I had a diagram for Bigfoot and did not hit any frame or wires.

Attached a pic of our Bigfoot set up for reference.

Thanks for any help. And anyone have a 24RB they want to sell?
Attachments
Bigfoot Canoe Flower - Copy.JPG
Bigfoot Canoe Flower - Copy.JPG (9.24 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”