Screen Door Metal Catch/Hold Replacement

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Jaker32186

Screen Door Metal Catch/Hold Replacement

Post by Jaker32186 »

'97 BF President RB, but I don't think that matters. I've seen one other BF ('98 President as well... what are the odds!) with the same set up for securing the screen door to the main door. We have/had a squiggly metal "T" on the main door that would catch the screen and hold it do the main door via pressure. You would then just pull on the screen door to free it from the main RV door. That metal was bent so that it would catch the tab attached to the screen door. The metal has broken and I've searched the internet and tried to define the part to narrow the search but to no avail. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Am I Just using the wrong words to try and find a replacement? Is the design so outdated it's an impossible task!?!? I think I could make one is all else failed but I figured a manufactured replacement would have the fit/finish I'm accustomed to.

The "T" portion is screwed into the metal of the main door so I'm hoping to find a replacement to continue to use the tab on the screen without having to change or drill new holes. I can provide pictures if that would be more helpful. I assumed that most, if not all, BFs manufactured around the mid/late 90s have the same construction. It's very simple, just a pressure catch.

If not, I'm not against installing a new latch system to lock the screen to the the main door, but most are set up for a a flush lock and I'm not sure they will work with the BF design. Figured I would see what others have used to lock the screen to the main door. At this time the two doors swing independent of one another and it's not the end of the world but it is a hassle. We have three children and the free swinging screen door takes a lot of abuse that could be avoided if it could be secured to the main door as it was designed. It was complete when we purchased but the metal failed recently and broke off!
cmeadows

Re: Screen Door Metal Catch/Hold Replacement

Post by cmeadows »

I'd use Velcro. At some point ours will break as well. I've bent it occasionally to adjust the holding tension on the screen door. There are rubber bumpers on the door above and below the spring tension tab. If it breaks, I'll install 4" strips of adhesive Velcro, stuck to the door and over the bumpers to have contact points at the 2 rubber bumpers. Might have to shave down the thickness of the rubber bumpers to allow for the thickness of Velcro. Good luck!
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
Jaker32186

Re: Screen Door Metal Catch/Hold Replacement

Post by Jaker32186 »

Thanks for the insight! I will take a look and give it a shot. Velcro strips come with us everywhere we go!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”