Why so different than nada prices and why no activity in for

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roger H

Re: Why so different than nada prices and why no activity in

Post by Roger H »

member7777 wrote:
whemme wrote:member7777,

The accuracy of the values provided by NADA is approximately equal to what you paid NADA for that advice!
For everything or just BF? I know nothing about RVs or NADA but I find your statement incredulous.
NADA is recognized as a guideline by financial institutions and is a guide for wholesale values. Supposedly, NADA members report each sale of each make and model to NADA for inclusion in the pricing estimates. The truth is that it's a self-fulfilling prophesy as NADA now dictates what vehicles are sold for. NADA depreciates vehicles taking into account a fairly constant retail price for new ones and depreciates that value annually.

However there are some notable exceptions... Jeep Wranglers, for example. And as I said earlier, molded fiberglass trailers, and some brands of motorhomes. Regarding the trailers, for example, I had an 06 Bigfoot 25' rear queen travel trailer. It stickered at $36k and change in '06. I bought it new late in '06 off the showroom floor at Kramer's Kampers in Chicago for $32k. I used it nine years and put a gazillion miles on it. Ok maybe not that many, but i traveled quite a bit with it... probably 30k miles in nine years. Anyway, NADA book on the trailer in excellent condition was $12.5k. I priced mine at $22.5k and it sold in a week word of mouth, without it being advertised. If I'd had to advertise it I'd have put it out there at $25k, and it'd have still sold in a week. New Bigfoot 25RQ trailers are now priced close to $60k which keeps the prices for the used trailers much higher, as $25k for the same product (albeit a few years old) in good condition seems like a bargain.

What happens most often is that the retail price of the new version of the product goes up faster than depreciation catches up with older units. That's what's happening in the case of Born Free. For example, my Born Free 32RQ stickered at $154k in '06. When I bought it last year, the NADA retail value was about $57k. However the prices of the current model of the Born Free most similar to mine, the Imperial 33' on the F550 chassis, now carries a sticker price in the neighborhood of $235k. So while mine should be depreciating, the cost of the new ones are going up so high and so quickly that the prices of the used ones like mine remain constant or even go up over time.

And that, Sir, is how used prices for these commodities can be so seemingly unreasonably high and out of whack with NADA. The fact remains, however, that the total cost of ownership of these units remains low as you realize in resale most of what you spent for the purchase price. Your initial outlay may be more, but you recoup it later because it's in demand and they don't depreciate much, if at all.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

On an annual basis I update the approximate value of my coach in my financial software so that my RV loan has an offsetting asset associated with it. Is there any recommended method for actually determining a value for a used Born Free coach? Would using NADA retail be a conservative but still realistic approach?
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Jalan wrote:On an annual basis I update the approximate value of my coach in my financial software so that my RV loan has an offsetting asset associated with it. Is there any recommended method for actually determining a value for a used Born Free coach? Would using NADA retail be a conservative but still realistic approach?
On newer coaches, seven years old or newer, NADA is probably realistic most of the time. NADA doesn't deal with older coaches very well.

With older coaches, comps are probably a more accurate way to determine the value, adjusting for mileage and condition. A few years ago, when I was still flipping Airstreams, I had a '53 Flying Cloud accidentally damaged by the shop where I was having some wiring done. The damage repairs were estimated to be $3500 and the insurance company initially didn't believe that a fifty-three year old travel trailer had ANY value, and wanted to total the trailer. Much to the surprise and chagrin of the adjuster, I was able to show through comps that the trailer was worth at least $8k in the condition it was in, and perhaps as much as $35k restored. They paid the $3500 claim.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Kinda late to the party on this thread, but when I was looking and found our BF I looked at NADA and saw it was much less than the asking price, but after seeing and driving the BF compared to other Class C's there was no comparison. They are worth it, and after owning it for a year and a half I'm so happy I bought it. I can't see us ever selling it unless we decide to buy a newer model.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Roger

Post by Roger »

Several years ago the wife and I went out RV shopping. After doing the rounds of the local dealers, I remarked to the
wife that most looked like they were assembled by drunks wearing blindfolds! I found an ad for a BF on Craigslist and,
when we saw the coach, I was immediately impressed by the quality and knew that I had to have it!
1999 24RB
chazman44

Post by chazman44 »

I haven't picked it up yet, just bought a 99 26FT RSB for $18,500 with 81,000 from Guaranty RV in Oregon, been doing homework since mid July and I am tickled pink about my deal.
deshet

Post by deshet »

This is a very interesting thread.
bf2coolrig

Post by bf2coolrig »

NADA gathers their info off reported sales,. since NADA, (national auto "DEALERS!! association) is their for dealers,...their values are mostly gonna be way low... prices of new (MSRP) are usually inflated by 30 to 35%... so there is your real value when you drive it off the lot... the bigger problem is... when people buy in states that they have to pay private party sales tax....they lie.. they pay 40k and get the seller to give them a bill of sale for 15k.. all that does is drive the book value waay down... the other is aucton sales...manhiem is the worst and the units they sale are as is and now real way to check them out... so way cheep , usually repo's that where stripped or in need of a lot of repairs... I did look every where and could not find a NADA lot to buy a unit at their price..

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”