Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BonaProf

Post by BonaProf »

Hi Leap'n Lions--

We recently visited the Born free factory in Humboldt, Iowa. We were impressed by the people who worked there, especially Phil Overby who took us on a tour, and showed us the 22' BFT and the 24' bath in the rear, which we were interested in buying. I was impressed by the focus on quality.

We've had a Volkswagen Camper for several years including a new one in 2003. We've been across country in 2003 and are on a new trip this year. We have found it a bit cramped and now that we have retired would like to take a motor home to spots and stay for several days. I have no complaints about the VW, and have happily discovered recently that the current price for a used 2003 is more than the original cost. We plan to sell it soon and will then be looking for a Born Free 24' either used or new.

I do have some questions and would appreciate your input:
1. What configuration would you choose--two beds, dinette, sofa, chairs?
2. What factory accessories would you recommend or wish you hadn't bought? for the camper? for the truck, especially diesel or gas?
3. Where can I find a forum that discusses the Ford E-350 or E-450? Members tend to share experiences about the camper parts, but I see little discussion about the Ford truck.

I will be looking at your postings for used campers on this site as well as a few other sites. Hope to see you in our own BF by next summer.
bill crommett

options

Post by bill crommett »

The reason we opted for twin beds is the fact that we are light sleepers and one of us has to get up several times during the night. With twin beds no one has to be crawled over to let the other one out of bed.

There are a number of good options available but others will chime in here to give you a rundown on preferences.

Bill
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Ed,
We also prefer the twin beds and are on our second coach with twins. The first one a 24'er and now a 22'er.

Twins gives each of us our own special space, one can read while the other sleeps and the layout provides room for 6 people to visit. The other real big advantage it doubles your storage (30"X74" twice) with access from either the inside or an outside access door. If you opt for the electric reclining feature, the mechanism will take up some of that storage space. I chalenge you to find another 22' RV on the market that has the storage of the twin bed BF. Good luck George B
robert

Post by robert »

Features or items we added to our 2002 24FT RB:

We had the factory install one couch and one twin bed. That gives my wife more room as the open couch is larger than a twin bed. (The BF twin is not really as wide as a house twin). The one problem with the couch is that it is not flat when you open it up, thus you have the seat portion of the bed higher than the back portion.

We solved this by purchasing a two inch (thickness) piece of foam, the width of the back portion. That evens out the bed, however there was still the problem of the crack. So I also purchased a foam topper to place over the entire bed. That makes it OK.

We had the factory put in the "old style" cabinets across the cab over area, so I have plenty of room to store the foam during the day.
-------------------
I added electric "air horns" used on boats. Although not as loud as regular air horns, they do get the other drivers attention. They were about 1/3 the cost. I had then installed below the cabover on the drivers side.
--------------------
I added PIAA driving lights. The regular Ford lights did not produce enough light for me at night. These really light up the road. I try not to drive at night, but every once in a while, you get put in a position where it gets dark before you get where you want to go.
--------------------
We did not get the factory TV, which you can buy a lot cheaper on the open market. We did buy a Sharp LCD TV which I hung on the wall just above the TV shelf. I put a DVD/VCR in the cabint area just above the TV shelf and ran the wires to the TV along side the roll bar.
--------------------
I purchased an air compressor and carry it with me. It is 110V. It cost about $100 at Sears.
--------------------
I would suggest adding a fire extinguisher to your safety equipment.
--------------------
I purchased a large flood type battery operated lamp.
--------------------
In the storage area between the bed and the couch, I installed plastic drawers. I have three on each side, two opening inward for clothing, and groceries and one opening outward for tools, etc.
You can buy these at Walmart or Target.
----------------------
I also have two or three of these drawers in the cab over for extra blankets, cold weather clothing, etc., things that you may need but not have day.
----------------------
I carry a spare tire (just the tire) not the wheel in a cargo storage box on the top rear of the coach. I probably would not get the box the next time, but just have the tire and wheel installed on the top, or carry the tire and wheel under the bed.
----------------------
I wish you well, and you will not be disappointed in buying a BF. Even used they are a good bargain as most BF owners take pride in their unit and maintain them in good order.
---------------------
I have some pictures of the interior of my unit if you are interested, drop me an e-mail.

Regards,
leroy1937

generator

Post by leroy1937 »

I my self wouldn't be with out generator. You can fix lunch while on the road. If to hot you can run roof air.
You are getting roof air?
Barbara & Ken

Re: New Member

Post by Barbara & Ken »

BonaProf wrote:. . . I do have some questions and would appreciate your input:
1. What configuration would you choose--two beds, dinette, sofa, chairs?
2. What factory accessories would you recommend or wish you hadn't bought? for the camper? for the truck, especially diesel or gas?
BonaProf,

Sent you a PM RE: questions #1 and #2 and the features, additions and modifications to our Born Free. Too many to list in a post.
Barbara & Ken
BonaProf

Post by BonaProf »

I thank you all for answering my questions. We have got to think about the seating since that seems to be the chief issue. We'll be looking for a used BF, but will likely hold off til next spring.

Thanks again

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”