Seasoning a Dutch Oven

Post your favorite food recipes in this forum
Forum rules
This forum is a place for you to post your favorite food recipes of your own making that you think would be of interest to other Born Free motorcoach owners.

You must not post a recipe that has been copyrighted or published by someone else unless you first obtain permission from that person or company.
Dude

Seasoning a Dutch Oven

Post by Dude »

Anybody have a Dutch Oven in their BF to cook on an open fire with? I recently bought a Dutch Oven at Harbor Freight for $30. There are some DO's that cost much more, but I wanted the entry level model.

The first thing you need to do is Season the Dutch Oven and then it should not require much to keep it clean. Cast iron is the original non-stick material. As long as you keep it oiled and dry you are supposed to just wipe it out not using soap and water.

It has been 20 years since I last used a DO with the Boy Scouts. HERE is a link to my video of the DO seasoning. How did you season your DO?

Yes, there is a plug within the video for my other camping website, I already have the OK from Bill
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Laker

Use a Big Green Egg

Post by Laker »

I have used a Big Green Egg cooker / smoker for a number of years. Using charcoal lump - not briquettes, I can easily get 600-650 grid temps. I just coat EVO and then season the DO for about hour in the BGE grill as you have done.

Often cook soups, chili, etc using the DO and BGE.

Great videos and memories for your kids.
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake

Return to “My Favorite Recipes”